Financial Aid recipients must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress toward a degree or certificate program to receive Financial Aid at Black Hawk College. This policy is based on standards established by federal regulations and state policy governing Financial Aid. These standards are cumulative and include all periods of enrollment at Black Hawk College, including semesters when the student did not receive financial aid. Academic Progress is evaluated after the completion of each semester.
Students are considered to be meeting the Financial Aid Academic Progress standards if the following three requirements are met (Good Standing):
- Cumulative GPA Requirement
A student must earn and maintain a 2.0 Cumulative Grade Point Average.
- Cumulative Completion Rate Requirement
A student’s total number of passed (completed) credit hours must be equal to or greater than 67% of the cumulative total of their attempted credit hours for all periods of enrollment at Black Hawk College. Transfer credit hours and withdrawn courses are included in this calculation.
- Maximum Time Frame Requirement
A student is eligible to receive financial aid for a maximum of 96 attempted credit hours at Black Hawk College. For a certificate program, the maximum attempted credit hours are 48. Transfer credit hours and withdrawn courses are included in this calculation.
- Attempted credit hours are the credit hours a student receives a grade. This includes courses that a student withdraws (W grades).
- Grades of A, B, C, D, or P are considered passed credit hours. Grades of F, I, W, or X are not considered passed credit hours.
- Below 100 level courses and pass/fail courses count in the attempted credit hours, but the grade is not used in calculating the Cumulative GPA.
- Repeated courses count as attempted credit hours and the higher grade is used in the Cumulative GPA. Repeated courses, that were originally passed courses, do not count as passed credit hours a second time. Example, if you passed ART 100 (3 credit hours) with a D and retake the course and receive a B. Attempted credit hours are counted both times the course was taken (6 credit hours). Passed credit hours are only counted the first time (3 credit hours). The Cumulative Grade Point Average will be calculated on the higher grade (the repeated time when a B was achieved).
- Non-credit courses (e.g. Adult Education classes, Community Education classes) are not counted in attempted credit hours or the Cumulative GPA.
- Transfer credit hours are added to a student’s attempted credit hours and passed credit hours, but the GPA from the prior college(s) will not be used in calculating the Black Hawk College Cumulative GPA.
- Students are only required to meet the Cumulative GPA to receive the Illinois Veteran’s Grant, Illinois National Guard Grant, MIA/POW, or GI Bill.
Students failing to meet the Cumulative GPA or Cumulative Completion Rate are placed on Financial Aid Warning for one semester. The Warning semester is meant to inform the student of potential academic problems and provide time for corrective action. It is recommended a student meet with an Academic Advisor concerning their Academic Plan at Black Hawk College during their Warning semester. While on Warning the student is eligible to receive Financial Aid. Students failing to meet either the Cumulative GPA or Cumulative Completion Rate requirement by the end of their Warning semester will be placed on Financial Aid Dismissal. Students who meet both the Cumulative GPA and Cumulative Completion Rate requirement after the Warning semester will return to Good Standing. Students on Warning are requested to complete Life Skills lessons on being a successful student.
Students on Dismissal are not eligible for Financial Aid at Black Hawk College. However, students may enroll at Black Hawk College and pay from their own resources.
Student’s eligibility for Financial Aid will automatically be reinstated once they meet both the Cumulative GPA and Cumulative Completion Rate requirements. This is done by enrolling and paying from their own resources.
Dismissal status may be appealed if the student had mitigating circumstances such as a personal illness or injury, the death of an immediate family member, an emergency or other unavoidable event beyond the student’s control. Appeal forms are available in the Financial Aid Office or can be printed from the BHC website. If the Appeal is denied the student will remain on Dismissal status. If the Appeal is approved the student will be placed on Probation status and be required to follow a Financial Aid Academic Plan.
An Appeal cannot be approved for these situations.
Students who have reached 60 Attempted Credit Hours and do not have a 2.0 Cumulative GPA will be placed on Dismissal. Students who cannot achieve a 67% Cumulative Completion Rate within the Time Frame to complete their program of study will be placed on Dismissal.
Students will be placed on Alert when they are approaching the Maximum Time Frame (96 attempted credit hours for an Associate degree and 48 attempted credit hours for a Certificate) for their program. They are eligible for Financial Aid while on Alert status.
Dismissal Time Frame:
Students who have exceeded 96 or more attempted credit hours for an Associate Degree or 48 or more attempted credit hours for a certificate program are not eligible for Financial Aid at Black Hawk College.
Dismissal Time Frame Appeal Process:
Students on Dismissal Time Frame may appeal if they can document a change in academic program, have taken developmental courses, or have returned to school for retraining. There is no automatic reinstatement for Dismissal Time Frame. Appeal forms are available in the Financial Aid Office or can be printed from the BHC website. If the Appeal is denied the student will remain on Dismissal Time Frame. If the Appeal is approved the student will be placed on Probation status and be required to follow a Financial Aid Academic Plan that is limited to courses required for graduation.
Students that are not meeting the Performance Standards of a 2.0 Cumulative GPA and a 67% Cumulative Completion Rate cannot have a TIME FRAME DISMISSAL Appeal approved.
How to check your status
Log into your myBlackHawk account:
1. Go to the Student Tab
2. Click on “Financial Aid”
3. Click on “Eligibility”
4. Click on “Academic Progress”
Last updated 2/18/2015