Last updated 2/21/2014
Black Hawk College is an open enrollment college. This means that all students are accepted into the college regardless of prior testing such as ACT or high school coursework and grades. As a community college, Black Hawk College offers classes which are either college level or developmental (pre-college) level classes. To determine which classes to take, students who enroll in or accumulate six or more credit hours at Black Hawk College are required to take our COMPASS course placement test. COMPASS measures academic skills in writing, reading, basic math and algebra.
Students for whom English is their second language should contact Anne Bollati, ESL coordinator, at 309-796-5183 to schedule ESL placement testing.
If you would like to practice the Compass test ahead of time click here to access practice tests.
COMPASS scores determine a student’s mandatory placement into college-level courses (classes with course numbers 100 and above), developmental education courses (classes with course numbers <100), or referral to the Student Success Center or Adult Basic Education.
(Optional: The Anatomy and Physiology Placement Test is also available to students that are interested in waiving the prerequisite of Biology 100, 101, or 105 and Chemistry 101 or 110.)
Where can I take the COMPASS test?
The COMPASS test is given in two locations:
- The Quad-Cities Campus in Moline, Ill. – 6600 34th Ave, 309-796-5352 or 309-796-5100
- The East Campus in Galva, Ill. – 26230 Black Hawk Road, 309-854-1732
When can I take the COMPASS test?
Quad-Cities Campus – Testing times: QC February 2014 COMPASS | QC March 2014 COMPASS
East Campus – Compass testing is given on a walk-in basis at East Campus. For those who opt to take the test in the morning, arrive by 9 a.m. to allow enough time for you to complete the test. For those who opt to take the test in the afternoon, arrive before 3 p.m. (Hours: Monday – Thursday: 9 a.m. to noon and 2 – 6 p.m.; Friday: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.).
To sign up for a test session, call:
Quad-Cities Campus — 309-796-5352 or 309-796-5100
East Campus — 309-854-1732
Students who need to take the COMPASS test with accommodations based on their disability should contact Disability Services by calling 309-796-5949 (Quad-Cities Campus) or TTY 309-796-5903 or 309-854-1713 (East Campus), to make arrangements.
On the day of the test:
- Bring a picture ID (driver’s license).
- Bring a calculator. (The test itself has a calculator if you don’t bring your own.)
- Bring your ACT score report or a test permit from your advisor or if you are exempt from parts of the test.
- The test is free to take once each school year. Bring a check or cash if this is a retake.
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled test time.
- Parking passes are available — come early if you need one.