The Academic ESL Program includes face-to-face instruction and online instruction. You meet you teacher in-person two days a week for 100 minutes each class, and also attend some classes online. You work with your teacher and classmates in groups and pairs. Activities include presentations, discussions, debates, and research. You can also participate in conversation groups and projects with American students.
All F-1 student visa holders must be full-time students. Citizens or permanent residents can be either full-time or part-time students.
All of the classrooms have internet, Smartboards, and digital video/audio tools. The ESL computer lab has programs that help you with listening, pronunciation, reading and writing. Tutors also are available to help you.
Students who complete our program:
• Learn reading, writing, listening, speaking, and study skills to succeed in academic and vocational classes
• Learn about the U.S. university system and how to transfer to other programs
• Successfully work with online classes and web-enhanced college-level classes.
• Learn how to use the library system on campus and in the surrounding area.
• Meet important people on campus who can continue to help them after they finish the ESL Program
• Participate in many campus and off campus events
Below you may select from two different types of ESL offerings at Black Hawk College, depending on your needs. Please note – the Academic ESL Program is a degree program, and the Adult Education ESL is a specialized program for non-English speaking students.
Testing and Placement
Before you begin the program, you will take the Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency. The score that you receive on this test will help us figure out which classes would be most helpful for you in reaching your goals.
Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency
Total Testing Time: 2 1/2 hours
1/2 hour: listening
1 hr.15 min: grammar, vocabulary, reading
1/2 hour: writing
Scoring of Michigan Test:
Below 60–beginning ESL (Adult-Education ESL)
Between 60-70 Intermediate ESL (Level 6–Academic Program)
Between 70–80 Advanced ESL (Level 7–Academic Program)
Above 80–Advanced ESL/College Program
Send comments and questions to the ESL Coordinator: email@example.com