Black Hawk College promotes an understanding and appreciation of the differences within the human family; provides an environment that nurtures personal, educational, and professional development; and recognized differences within the human family as an asset.
Student Support Services at Black Hawk College encourages cultural exploration, intercultural communication, understanding and respect. Its mission is to two-fold, providing and environment by which cultural differences are recognized, appreciated and utilized and one that welcomes and promotes the success of all students, faculty and staff.
- Serve as an ombudsman for underrepresented students
- Encourage cultural sensitivity among the College community
- Promote cultural appreciation district-wide
- Set standards for college wide and district wide Intercultural Competence
- Improve retention/recruitment and matriculation rates among underrepresented students
- Promote a healthy and diverse college climate for our community
- Improve intercultural communication
Through a service orientation, Black Hawk College embraces the necessity of working in collaboration with community partners in preparing students for the local, national, and international workplace.
Community Involvement Programs:
Through Service Learning initiatives community service experience is integrated with academic study. Students’ educational experience is enhanced and a recognized community need is met. The concept is simple – the quality of the teaching/learning environment is improved and the students’ sense of civic responsibility is increased, at Black Hawk College.
- Diversity Training and Resource Center Providing lectures, workshops, seminars for students, faculty and the community
- Women’s History Month activities
- Mexican-American History Month activities
- Cinco de Mayo
- Black History Month activities
- Viva Quad-Cities
- International Student Association · Association of Latin American Students (ALAS)
- Asian/Pacific History Month activities
- International Festival
- Native American History Month activities