Events

SMTWTFS
View all »

Tutoring

QC men’s basketball coach sets school record

Darren Bizarri 2-19-14 (web)Last updated 2/20/2014

Braves men’s basketball coach Darren Bizarri has reached another milestone at Black Hawk College.

With his team’s 85-80 win Feb. 18 over Illinois Valley Community College, Bizarri now has 117 wins, the most of any men’s basketball coach at the Quad-Cities Campus.

“While I’m honored to hold the distinction of having the most coaching victories, I know it couldn’t be further from an individual accomplishment. I’ve been very fortunate to have outstanding administrative support from day one, which is the first step towards being successful. I’ve been blessed to have been surrounded with outstanding assistant coaches throughout my tenure who have been dedicated to helping our program,” Bizarri said.

“Finally, and certainly the most important, we’ve been able to attract some really good players and fine young men throughout my time coaching at Black Hawk. More important than the wins, you reflect on the relationships that have been built and forged over those wins and what those wins represent … kids that have a tremendous love of the game and a desire to pursue their education and represent Black Hawk.”

Bizarri surpasses former coach Jack Carbee’s 116 wins to set the new BHC record. Bizarri played for Carbee — who coached the Braves from 1986-94 — and the two still keep in touch.

“It’s touching for me to pass Jack Carbee, as I played for him and he taught me how much more a basketball coach is than just teaching the game of basketball. I can never thank him enough for what he taught me about life as much as basketball,” Bizarri said.

“Black Hawk has always been special for me. This institution is where I found myself as a student and a person.  Without my Black Hawk education and the time I spent in the classroom here and on the basketball court, I don’t know where I would have ended up,” he added.

“So, for me running this program isn’t just professional, it’s personal.”

Listen to Coach Bizarri’s interview with Jim Taylor on WRMJ radio.