Events

« December 2016 » loading...
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Wed 07

ArtSpace Gallery exhibit

November 14 - December 8
Thu 08

Augustana College visit

December 8 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Thu 08
Thu 08

BHC Holiday Choral Concert

December 8 @ 7:30 pm
Fri 09

International Food Competition

December 9 @ 4:00 pm - 6:30 pm

View all »

I am Black Hawk College – Mark Seaholm

For 30 years, Mark Seaholm has taught Black Hawk College Professional and Continuing Education students how to cut glass pieces and assemble them into beautiful works of art.

“When I meet students from one of his past classes, they tell me that he is a great instructor who is passionate about his work,” says Brenda Brown, director of Professional and Continuing Education.

Mark has decided to retire and will wrap up his final stained class in December 2013.

“Mark is a dedicated instructor who has made a positive impact on Black Hawk College for more than 30 years,” Brenda Brown says.

“We appreciate his years of teaching and his loyalty to the college.”

Here is Mark Seaholm’s “I am Black Hawk College” story in his own words –

“I was an art major in college and was fortunate enough to land a job in an art-related field right out of school. My dad’s cousin, Jon Brodd, owned a stained glass studio in Moline called Landin’s Lamps, and he was looking for an artist to do design work. I started working for him in March of 1981.

“At that time, Mr. Brodd was teaching the stained glass classes at Black Hawk College. As added training, Mr. Brodd had me tag along and assist him. He handed the reins over to me in June of 1983.

“Teaching the stained glass classes at Black Hawk College has been the single most enjoyable job I’ve ever had. I’ve loved every minute of it. The last 30 years have flown by.

“I can’t begin to guess how many students I’ve taught over those 30 years. At one time, we were teaching a Wednesday and Thursday night class. There were times that we had 12-15 students in a class and a waiting list to boot! However, there were also some lean times when we didn’t have enough students signed up to make one class run.

“Stained glass, as an art form and a hobby, has had its ups and downs over the last several decades. It has evolved and changed with architectural styles, decorating tastes and technology.

“Eventually, Landin’s stained glass studio could no longer afford to stay open, so, in 2006, we closed. However, I continued to teach the classes at Black Hawk College. I still loved teaching the classes and plowed ahead.

“Then why quit? I’ve asked myself that question many times. It was a hard decision to make. It’s been a regular part of my life for 30 of my 55 years!

“When I learned that I’d been teaching for 30 years as of June 2013, I figured that sounded like a good round number. It was time.

“I’d like to thank all the wonderful Black Hawk College staff who’ve assisted me over the years, too numerous to name (including many a helpful custodian!). I couldn’t have done it without their help. And I hope that there are still enough enthused proponents out there who will ‘keep the faith,’ so to speak, and keep alive a worthy art form.”

Last updated 12/2/2013