Geneseo High School’s Team 1 won the Fall 2013 Drs. David & Agnes Palmer JA Titan Competition at the Black Hawk College Community Education Center in downtown Kewanee.
The team was sponsored by Central Bank Illinois and mentored by Brett Decker from Central Bank Illinois.
Black Hawk College hosted the Oct. 31 business strategy tournament for high school students.
Students are on a management team of a “virtual” company and need to make critical decisions about the business in order to make a profit in a very competitive industry. There were seven teams from Annawan, Cambridge, Galva, Geneseo and Kewanee high schools.
The winning team advances to the Nov. 20 Scholarship Round where $8,000 in scholarships will be awarded to the top three teams.
“Black Hawk College is pleased to host the JA Titan Competition,” said David Harris, coordinator of the Community Education Center.
“This competition helps high students understand what it’s like to work in a global economy which is exactly what the college does in our business and agriculture classes,” he said.
The sponsors and mentors for the six non-winning teams were:
Annawan High School
- Sponsor – Birkey’s Farm Store
- Mentor – Jon Looney, Black Hawk College
Cambridge High School
- Sponsor – Martin Engineering
- Mentor – Joseph Mickley, Hanford Insurance Agency
Galva High School
- Sponsor – Black Hawk College
- Mentor – Colby Hathaway, Barash & Everett LLC
Geneseo High School, Team 2
- Sponsor – DHCU Community Credit Union
- Mentor – Breanna Leander, DHCU Community Credit Union
Kewanee High School, Team 1
- Sponsor – Peoples National Bank of Kewanee
- Mentor – Mitch Boston, Peoples National Bank of Kewanee
Kewanee High School, Team 2
- Sponsor – State Bank of Toulon
- Mentor – Brandon Yaklich, State Bank of Toulon
Last updated 11/1/2013