Events

« December 2016 » loading...
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Mon 05

ArtSpace Gallery exhibit

November 14 - December 8
Mon 05

BHC Student Vocal Recital

December 5 @ 7:30 pm
Tue 06

Transfer Tuesday – St. Ambrose University visit

December 6 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Tue 06

Learn and Earn Open House

December 6 @ 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Tue 06

View all »

I am BHC – Matt Case

matt case

BHC alum Matt Case started nearly four years ago with a small backyard garden. Today he manages 12 acres of crops at his farm, QC Organics.

Matt CaseMatt grows and distributes a wide variety of vegetables, including broccoli, cabbage, cucumbers, eggplant, leafy greens, pumpkins, peppers, potatoes and onions. He also grows heirloom tomatoes and specialty baby greens that are a favorite of local high-end restaurants that use his vegetables.

Matt attended BHC East Campus where he earned a horticulture certificate while also playing for the BHC golf team at the Quad-Cities Campus. Matt will attend Western Illinois University this fall and major in elementary education.

Matt does not use any chemicals on his crops and has a passion for providing local healthy food to his community.

“You always have insects, but with conventional farming the input of chemicals is so expensive. For me, though, I don’t have to pay for chemicals,” he says.

“If vegetables get insect pressure or diseased, I’ll just replant. I also rotate crops, using good growing practices.”

Matt is not only busy growing and harvesting, but also coordinating marketing and distribution for QC Organics.

matt case“I wear many hats – growing, marketing, distributing. I go to restaurants, and bring sample boxes. You’ve got to get your foot in the door and show them you are able to bring it every week. Once you show them you have really high-quality product, they love it!”

Matt strongly believes in local farming and distributes his product to local restaurants, country clubs and grocery stores. You can find him at the local farmer’s market as well.

“Everything I take to restaurants is either picked that day or the night before. Not only do they like the quality but they like having the shelf life. “

When asked what inspired him to delve into agriculture, he says it is an interest that came from within.

“I just started with a couple house plants and studied and researched on my own. Organic produce is in high demand, and it’s important for the health of the nation.”

Matt Case

View more “I am Black Hawk College” stories.

Last updated 6/19/2013