Events

SMTWTFS
View all »

Tutoring

College for Kids 2014

Last updated 3/26/2014

To see photos from College for Kids 2013, visit Black Hawk College on Facebook.

Monday, July 21 to Friday, July 25
Note: Classes for College for Kids will meet in the afternoon during this week instead of in the morning. Look in your child’s registration packet for details.

The College for Kids registration packet will be delivered to the schools starting the week of April 14. Classes fill quickly so mail registrations in early. No walk-in registrations please.

Contact your child’s school if your child has attended CFK before and did not receive a registration packet.

Eligibility
The program is designed for students who are entering sixth, seventh, eighth or ninth grades for the 2014-2015 school year. Initial eligibility is determined by meeting at least one of the following criteria:

• The most recent achievement score at the 90th percentile or above on one of the following:
    • Reading Total
    • or  Math Total
    • or  Social Studies
    • or  Science
  • or  The most recent ability test score at the 90th percentile or above.

Once a student qualifies for College For Kids, they are eligible through ninth grade.

Since students are identified by their schools, parents may address questions about their child’s test scores with the child’s school principal.

Purpose
The purpose of the College for Kids Program is to provide gifted students with experiences different from their school activities. Instructors are encouraged to use teaching methods appropriate to a college classroom, including lectures, group discussions, shared inquiry, and lab activities. Emphasis is placed on participation that will challenge a student.

Testimonial

Going to College … for Kids
By Kenzie Reimers – Rockridge Junior High Student Writer, Sixth Grade
This summer I went to Black Hawk College for College for Kids. I was in fifth grade. Everyone got to choose ten classes they wanted, but could only go to three. They gave me my three top picks!

I got my schedule and a map of the school. I was excited! Three days before it started I went to look at my classes. My first class was in building two then my others were in building one.

The first day was fun. Every day the buses dropped us off at the building one entrance. I went by the vending machines because we were fifteen minutes early. My first class was CSI: Detective. I saw Ellie, a girl I met at volleyball camp the week before. We sat next to each other all week and became really good friends. We learned how to read handwriting and see certain teeth marks. On the last day, we split into different groups and had to choose between four different suspects. We chose suspect four, but it was two.

The whole week of Titanic was interesting. At the end of the week we looked at different things that would be on the ship. We had to guess if the items were in first, second, third class, or used by the cooks or crew.

Cartooning was my favorite class of all. Mrs. Gromm was a nice teacher. We learned how to draw something new every day. On Friday, we all showed the class two characters. I made Cade and Hebert. Ella and Gabe were in my class too. I loved College for Kids and want to go back next year!